Get a Quality 2x2 Photo With a Few Taps on a Smartphone
Get your biometric photograph within 3 minutes, with your smartphone, comfortably from home.
How do our mobile and web apps work?
Snap the perfect biometric passport photo in under 3 minutes!
Find out just how simple it can be!
Take or upload a photo
Use a photo you already have or take a new one. We'll double-check it and make sure it passes all compliance tests.
Get your photo tuned-up by AI
Our AI system will crop, resize, and adjust the background of your image.
Get expert verification
One of our experts will carefully review your passport photo, providing you with feedback in under a minute!
Key benefits of using our passport photo tool
Get comfy at home, grab your phone, and snap a few pictures. End up with a result you’re 100% satisfied with!
No need to drive or wait in line. Take a photo wherever you are with only your smartphone.
Over a million users worldwide, 18 million photos processed, and thousands of 5-star reviews on TrustPilot.
Questions or doubts about your photos? Our photography experts and support agents will be happy to help you out.
Once you place your order, our AI and human expert will verify your photo to ensure it's 100% compliant.
Passport photo-taking tips
Follow these guidelines to create the perfect passport picture.
Consider the distance
Keep your front-facing camera 16–20 inch (40–50 cm) away from the face. For rear cameras, keep a 4–6 foot (1–2 meter) distance.
Keep your head and body straight
Look directly into the camera and avoid tilting your body. Remember, portrait mode is unacceptable for passport photos.
Prepare good lighting
Take your passport photos in a daylight setting, like near a window on a sunny day. Shadows on your face or in the background are not permitted.
2x2” passport photo: overview
Here’s a quick overview of all requirements for your photo.
Is it suitable for online submission?
Is it printable?
Image definition parameters
Head height: 1.29 in
Bottom of the Photo to the Eye Line: 1.18 in
Need more info on passport photos? Read these FAQs
Learn more about getting a 2x2 passport photo
Need more information about getting a 2 by 2 photo for a passport? Read through these frequently asked questions to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject.
What is a 2 x 2 photo?
A 2 x 2 photo is a standard-sized photograph, used for identification purposes on US passports or visa applications. It measures 2 inches by 2 inches (or 51 x 51 millimeters) and must follow all the requirements set out by the US Department of State.
Can I make a passport photo 2x2 in size on my own?
Yes, you can easily create a 2x2 passport photo on your own using a 2x2 photo converter online.
Some websites, such as PhotoAiD®, offer automatic cropping, while others provide 2x2 photo crop tools for you to adjust the image manually. Either way, you can conveniently create a passport-sized photo without needing to visit a professional studio. Simply,
- Download the PhotoAiD® application on Android or iOS.
- Upload an existing photo or snap as many pictures as you like using your smartphone’s camera.
- Select your favorite photo and have it instantly converted to a 2x2 passport photo that meets all guidelines mandated by the US State Department.
- Use the digital photo for an online passport renewal, or opt to have physical prints delivered to any address in the US.
How do I print a 2x2 photo online?
To print a 2x2 photo online, follow these simple steps:
- Convert an existing image to 2x2 size using PhotoAiD® or a similar online photo converter / editing tool (you can also snap a fresh picture on the spot).
- Save the resized image to your device as a 4x6” printable template (containing two 2x2” US passport photos).
- Visit a reputable online photo printing service such as Shutterfly, select the 4x6” print option, and upload your template to the website.
- Choose the desired quantity and complete your order.
- The printed photos will be shipped to your address, or you can pick them up at a local store if the service offers that option.
- Alternatively, use PhotoAid’s® delivery option for a one-stop 2x2” passport photo shopping experience—under 3 min from start to finish.
Can I take a 2x2 passport photo on my phone?
Yes, you can take a 2x2 passport photo using your smartphone.
First, ensure your passport photo has good lighting.
Next, have a friend take the photo with a smartphone and a passport photo app such as PhotoAid®
Once you've taken the photo, our highly-rated app will crop and resize the image to the required dimensions—we’ll also replace the background with a plain background that complies with official passport photo requirements.
Finally, save the photo and use it for online passport renewals or select to have physical prints delivered to the address of your choosing.
Discover other documents we support
Was this information helpful?
Let us know how useful you found this page
Rate this page
Number of votes: 85
End-to-end passport photo service on your smartphone!
Download our easy-to-use mobile app and let us help you take the perfect photo right from your smartphone. Find all the biometric photographs you need in one place. Monitor your order and get notified when your pictures are ready to use. Available for free for iOS and Android devices.