UK Student ID Card Photo- What To Use to Get the Perfect One
Get your biometric photograph within 3 minutes, with your smartphone, comfortably from home.
How do our mobile and web apps work?
Snap the perfect biometric passport photo in under 3 minutes!
Find out just how simple it can be!
Take or upload a photo
Use a photo you already have or take a new one. We'll double-check it and make sure it passes all compliance tests.
Get your photo tuned-up by AI
Our AI system will crop, resize, and adjust the background of your image.
Get expert verification
One of our experts will carefully review your passport photo, providing you with feedback in under a minute!
Key benefits of using our passport photo tool
Get comfy at home, grab your phone, and snap a few pictures. End up with a result you’re 100% satisfied with!
No need to drive or wait in line. Take a photo wherever you are with only your smartphone.
Over a million users worldwide, 18 million photos processed, and thousands of 5-star reviews on TrustPilot.
Questions or doubts about your photos? Our photography experts and support agents will be happy to help you out.
Once you place your order, our AI and human expert will verify your photo to ensure it's 100% compliant.
Passport photo-taking tips
Follow these guidelines to create the perfect passport picture.
Consider the distance
Keep your front-facing camera 16–20 inch (40–50 cm) away from the face. For rear cameras, keep a 4–6 foot (1–2 meter) distance.
Keep your head and body straight
Look directly into the camera and avoid tilting your body. Remember, portrait mode is unacceptable for passport photos.
Prepare good lighting
Take your passport photos in a daylight setting, like near a window on a sunny day. Shadows on your face or in the background are not permitted.
UK Student ID Card Photo- benefits and photo requirements
Here’s a quick overview of all requirements for your photo.
Is it suitable for online submission?
Is it printable?
Image definition parameters
Head height: 34.5 mm
Top of the Photo to Top of the Hair: 3 mm
Need more info on passport photos? Read these FAQs
University ID Cards in the UK
The majority of UK universities require uploading a picture once you are enrolled, to be used as the student’s ID card photo. The student ID card can be used for different important purposes related to university life, such as:
- a means of personal identification
- used as a pass to access university gyms or sport facilities
- confirms your status when asking for a student discount
- serves as a means to check on your attendance to lectures
- grants access to university’s campus buildings
- can be used as a transportation card
- can be used as a prepaid card to pay for services or goods while on campus
- serves as proof of status when using the university's medical services
- allows you to park your car on campus
There are numerous benefits that come with using a student ID. Read on to understand what information is included on your student ID card and find out how to take a professional picture to successfully apply for your student ID.
What information is included in a student ID?
You will find the following personal information on a UK student ID card:
- your name
- your student ID
- information about your university and major
- a photo
- additional personal details such as your birth date, address etc.
Ways to get a UK university ID card
In order to receive a student ID card in the UK, you need to provide a picture fulfilling the university's requirements and upload it to the designated platform. Depending on the university, some will ask for your photo to be sent via traditional post or email. In some cases, there are photo booths on campus for students to use, but with every freshman needing one, you can only imagine the waiting lines. If you care about getting your student ID card without delays, try preparing a high quality student ID card digital photo with PhotoAiD.
The AI based algorithm of PhotoAiD enables it to recognize your face, edit, crop and fix the angles and background of your photo. You can choose between using our service on the website or downloading our user-friendly mobile apps for both Android and iOS phones.
General photo requirements for a UK university ID card
There might be minor discrepancies in the guidelines depending on what university you apply to, but the basic conditions to get your student ID card photo accepted are listed below:
- you need to use a recent photo, taken no earlier than 6 months ago
- the photo has to be in colour, unaltered using filters, clear and well-focused, with no “red eye” effect
- the background of the photo should be plain (no patterns) and in a light colour
- there should be a colour contrast between your outfit and the background (try choosing darker colours)
- there can be no other people or objects in the photo
- you should face the camera and look straight into the lens
- your face has to be evenly lightened on both sides
- make sure your whole face, including the forehead and eyebrows is clearly visible
- keep your eyes open and your mouth shut (do not smile or frown)
- unless you wear it for religious or medical purposes, take off any head covering such as hats, caps etc.
- you should not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses (prescription glasses are fine, just make sure there's no reflection of the camera's flash in them).
UK university ID card photo- digital form
Save precious time- while others wait in a line to a photographers studio or photobooth to get your student ID card photo taken, you can now shoot it yourself and get it edited in just a few seconds! Using PhotoAiD upload your photo and browse in your camera's photo roll for one that seems good, even a selfie! Once you have decided on the picture, we will need 3 seconds to edit it and… that's it! You are now free to download your professional student ID card photo.
Discover other documents we support
Frequently asked questions
Was this information helpful?
Let us know how useful you found this page
Rate this page
Number of votes: 99
End-to-end passport photo service on your smartphone!
Download our easy-to-use mobile app and let us help you take the perfect photo right from your smartphone. Find all the biometric photographs you need in one place. Monitor your order and get notified when your pictures are ready to use. Available for free for iOS and Android devices.